Early Inside Equipment. Los Altos, California.

These are all pics I found on the web since I could find none of my own.

This Heathkit I built was hooked up to that first questionable antenna you saw me build. At this time I had just learned
of the existence of Ham Radio and heard some talking on this receiver. I found a friend in Junior High
who liked to pretend he was a Ham. We would make up call signs and talk into microphones not
hooked to anything.

So my dad looked in the small city classified adds and found this National boat anchor from some old Ham.
Now this isn't exactly what it looked like but I couldn't find an image I recognized on the web.

Then came this National NC-173. Now I could focus in on the ham bands. Because a friend of mine installed
a Collins filter in the IF, I had this receiver for quite a while. I even painted the front panel like a Swan 350
and changed all the knobs. Wish I had a picture of it.

I built this DX-60 but it wouldn't work, so my dad and I took it to an electronics supply store to fix it. I think a resistor was
in the wrong place. Anyway, it was all I could do to not get on the air while I was waiting for my Novice licence
to come. Then while waiting for my General licence, I talked into a 60 watt light bulb dummy load. At this time I
graduated from a dipole to a Hy-gain 14-AVQ on the house roof near the TV antenna. And yes, TVI.

This HG-10 VFO came for Christmas, and oh boy, I couldn't build it fast enough. It sure
drifted, but hey, no more crystals to plug in.

This was definitely a dream come true -- SSB. God how I loved watching that HT-37 meter kick and hearing the hum
of the transformer when I talked it up. I think we got this at Ham Radio outlet used.

At this time I attempted to get on 2 meters with this little Heath 22er, but I could never get it to work.

Finally a good ham dial receiver and some extra power with this Swan 350. My dad and I went up to Ham
Radio Outlet in San Francisco and traded the HT-37 with some cash. At this time my
parents were glad to spend some money because they knew where I was and
that I wasn't getting into trouble due to my hobby.

As I made more friends, I was exposed to more equipment deals. I traded my Swan 350 for the Halicrafters
SX line with some extra cash. From this friend I also got a six foot rack panel cabinet with a linear amp
that was some off-brand I can't remember.

I got an Datsun pickup (like this but dark green) and installed a HF transceiver. It was one of the
first transistor types, but I don't remember its name.
I had a trapped mobile antenna, but I mounted it with a CB whip spring and
when going down the freeway it would bend almost 45 degrees in the wind.

Then just after my father died, and my mom had some insurance money, I got a 68 Mustang fastback.
This time I installed a heavier spring on the back bumper. It was light metallic green with a stripe like this.

As Ham Radio was the biggest thing in my life, I had to go to the ultimate. I had a job and spent almost
all of my income on equipment. So here comes the Collins S-line. I got the three in this pic. At the same
time, a Henry 2-K. Now I had arrived, and was in there with the big guys of the NCDXC. Ross Forbes, now K6GFJ,
sponsored me to become a DXCC member, and was an inspiration for raising the level of my DXing.

This was a great ego boost. I'd look over to see the tubes turning cherry red. With this and the five-elements
wide-spaced on 20, I did well in the pile-ups. Then by mid 1970, I sold it all to
Ham Radio Outlet in Burlingame -- more specifically, John Steventon,
W6CLS, who ran the place and became a friend of mine who got me the Collins at a discount.
I let WB6VCM (advanced class) expire.


So here comes 1988, and I don't remember exactly how the Ham bug came back, but I studied for
the Amateur Extra licence and got it. I first passed the Advanced and got KJ6ZF.
It seemed like a good call so I didn't go for the AA 2x1 callsigns at the time.
Not bad for someone who hated code. I then bought an Icom 725.

I put up an A3 tribander, and an all band sloper on a MA-40 tubular 40 ft tower. The sunspot cycle was in
full swing and I worked 150 countries in three weeks. I was up at Ross Forbes place for dinner and
John Troster, W6ISQ was there. He said, "150 in three weeks? You're a tiger."

I joined the Foothills Amateur Radio Club and participated in field day.
This showed up in November 1990 QST.

After a few years, I got heavily involved in my philosophy writings and packed up the gear.
Then selling my Los Altos home in 2004 and moving to a high-rise in San Francisco, I sold all my gear again.


Back to past       To my present.    Back to homepage.